Members of the Board of Trustees represent and are responsible to the Citizens within the District. They as a body corporate have the exclusive power and duty to govern and oversee the management of the public schools of the district. The trustees may adopt rules and bylaws necessary to carry out these powers and duties.
This platform outlines how I wish to proceed as your representative. I am very aware that I would need to convince other board members in order to get anything accomplished. This does not hinder my focus. TIME IS NOW!!!!
Increase Transparency and Improve Accountability
There is a disconnect between the board and parts of the community. We need to make sure that the community knows that their resources are being properly maintained and services are being provided with the highest efficiency. It is time we not only be held accountable for success but also failures of our schools. If any part of our District is not performing, we must recognize the need to change and have the courage and commitment to make the necessary changes.
- I want to increase transparency and improve accountability by:
- Establishing a policy that require public forums, public interviews, and public comments, prior to making major decisions.
- Conducting a comprehensive review of the budget, allowing more public input, and requiring the budget be published in an easy-to-read format
- Hosting school board meetings in various locations throughout the District to allow more public attendance.
- Ensuring goals are measurable and establish benchmarks to determine the success or failure to meet objectives.
- Establishing a program for self-assessment and community-assessment of progress
- Establishing an Inspector General Office which will provide increase accountability, promote fiscal responsibility, assist with establishing and maintaining effective control systems, conduct internal audits, and make recommendations for improvements
- Developing procedures to assess the effectiveness of the District and school leadership
- Increasing awareness of school board decisions
Improve Community Involvement
The District is a key player in the community, the schools are the backbone. Because of the unique and transient nature of our community, we can say that KISD trains the world. The District is not a monolithic body of administrators, educators, and support staff. It is all of us, the entire community that it serves. We all must be involved in the process.
I want to improve community involvement by:
- Establishing a model that would promote local school engagement in their surrounding community This would require a closer relationship with the municipalities the District serves and make schools community hubs that are engaged with their surrounding neighborhoods.
- Building more partnerships with local businesses and organizations to develop programs for students and taking advantage of our designation as a district of innovation, using expertise in community to increase the value and amount of opportunities for our students.
- Increasing parental involvement by supporting Parent Teacher Associations (PTA) at all schools at every level.
- Engaging the community by attending local school events, conducting town hall meetings in different areas and inviting District to attend to directly address issues.
- Promoting and supporting the voices of students by establishing a place on the Board of Trustees for a democratically elected Student Trustee, in accordance with Texas Education Code Section 11.0511; and establishing a democratically elected District wide student advisory council, using the support of area voting groups to conduct the elections.
- Improving the relationship with Killeen ISD Police and the area police agencies, making clear the lines of sole, shared, and mutual responsibilities, and tying this relationship with the community schools' model
Improve the equity in the District
There is a lack of equity in the District. Every student should have the same opportunity to succeed, regardless of who they are, where they live, and how much money their family has.
I want to improve equity by:
- Supporting student-based budgeting based on the needs of every student, but also ensuring that each teacher has the resources needed in their individual classrooms
- Improving the delivery of English as a Second Language programs. No student should fail a test because they could not understand the language of a test.
- Increasing the diversity in recruiting for teachers and staff to the District. We should be recruiting from places that have teachers that can best relate to the diversity and uniqueness of our school district.
- Advocating for a review and subsequent change of the textbooks, especially history to ensure that the full and most truthful lessons are being taught.
- Promoting the celebration of all cultures that make up the District
- Investigating the use of clusters and establishing single board seats within those clusters so that those local areas have a guaranteed representative from their area.
- Advocating for full access to Pre-K so students enter school better prepared without regard to economic or ethnic background
- Continuously demanding and supporting the closure of the gap in student performances among the different cultural groups/ethnicities.